Saturday, June 15, 2019

Damaging social media.

I'm sure there are many others in my position, where they work every spare minute they get on some kind of artistic project. I have a word count target I reach every day, and put a lot of effort and work into what I do, but sometimes it can be hard. Not because I don't want to do it, nor because I find what I do a task I must achieve. I love doing it, but it's the world of social media and the constant niggling as to why I can't seem to take it any further. As an artist, I'm sure that many of you will find that a lot of it comes down to marketing yourself correctly, and I don't really believe this to be by the means of social media as such. I think social media may aid you once you've managed to get a name for yourself, but if you're trying to get started in selling work or get a following, then I believe social media can be massively disheartening. After all, it can destroy confidence in yourself and make you believe that what you do is worth nothing. It's such a fake and unnatural world. A world where a photo of someone's coffee can get more likes than a piece of work that someone has spent weeks working on. A place littered with people clicking like buttons because they know the name, instead of appreciating the work. It becomes obsessive, trying to get people to like your work, or share your page, or even visit your website. But social media is not a reality. Any form of art and creativity is wonderful, and it matters little if people decide to like that photo of a stupid supermarket advertisement, more so than something original and special. All of you artists and creatives out there are truly special. Thoughts?
Andrew William Gregory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment